by

Take-aways from creating this blog initially

There are many reasons for why I chose to create this blog, but the three that are most important are (1) to develop a tendency to create instead of consume information, (2) to overcome my perceived weakness towards writing, and (3) to demonstrate my expertise. All day I feel like I am consuming information through my school reading and lectures, the news, and in my entertainment. The problem is that I feel like all of the information I am consuming is pooling behind a dam with some being used, some evaporating, and the majority of it just stuck there. I want to open the floodgates and increase the usage of my knowledge, if not a floodgate I at least see the blog as a new irrigation canal that will put more of the information to use. I think a blog will help me develop the habit of limiting the information I consume by asking myself, “would I want to write about this?” So far it is not having that effect, but it is still early in the life of the blog. Effort has been focused on how to create it and deciding what the purpose of it truly is so that it will benefit me in the long term. As I stick with this project, I believe that I will continue to trade time consuming information for time creating useful content and hopefully products.

Becoming better at writing was a minor goal, but as I’ve worked on this project, I’ve realized that this is actually a major reason why I decided to take on this project and want to continue it. I perceive my writing skill to be weak and I’ve realized that I fear writing and go to great lengths to avoid it. This blog is a low stakes situation with an internalized reason to do it. I see creating content as valuable and beneficial to me, so I am trying to stack onto that the added benefit of a reason to practice and improve my writing.

Lastly, demonstrating my expertise. In this blog I originally thought that I could post projects that I have worked on and papers I have written to create a type of portfolio, but I have realized that it isn’t practical. Work through my assistantship is proprietary and no one wants to read an academic type paper unless they have to or it relates to a specific need they have. I think the real play here is demonstrating my expertise by developing quality content that relates to problems people have, is easily understood, and is easily applied.

Overall this blog is something that will be very useful for me going forward in my professional development and goals. I plan on it continuing to change and develop as I get better and my interests change. Somethings I hope happen in the future is that I want to explore generating more interaction with others through the comment sections as well as exploring the use of Twitch and Discord.